gmake creates files that already exist and are up-to-date

From: Simon De Groot
Subject: gmake creates files that already exist and are up-to-date
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:03:10 +0100

I have a phony target that creates multiple files. On top of that, I defined a pattern rule for that type of file. Both the phony target and the individual targets are in the dependency tree of the 'all' target. Once I run gmake --debug=a, I can see that it first makes the phony target, creating all the files, which from then on exist. Afterwards, the dependency requires these files individually. I would expect that by then, these will not be remade, since the phony target has created them successfully. But gmake's debug log reports that each individual file does not exist, and makes them individually.

Moreover, if, before I run the commands that create the individual file, I do an 'ls -l $@', it actually shows that it exists!?!

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Simon de Groot
CAD Engineer
National Semiconductor B.V.
Het Zuiderkruis 53
NL-5215 MV 's-Hertogenbosch
The Netherlands
Tel. +31(0)73-6408332, Fax +31(0)73-6408823
mailto:address@hidden
http://www.national.com

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended or authorized recipient please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.