Re: Fw: gmake creates files that already exist and are up-to-date

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: Fw: gmake creates files that already exist and are up-to-date
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:03:40 -0500

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 09:15, Simon De Groot wrote:
> I hope someone can help me out here. Consider the following makefile:

[snip]

I realize that this isn't a direct answer to your question, but your
Makefile breaks Paul's 2nd Rule of Makefiles:

"Every non-.PHONY rule must update a file with the exact name of its
target.  Make sure every command script touches the file "$@"-- not
"../$@", or "$(notdir $@)", but exactly address@hidden That way you and GNU make
always agree."

The "$(CDS2HDL_ENTS_TS) : $(CDS2HDL_ENT_TS)" and "%_ent.vhd : %.cdb" are
updating multiple targets and if you run your Makefile you can see that
different rules are updating the same target: one_ent.vhd is touched by
the "batch" rule and the "single" rule.

What are you trying to achieve with all these timestamp files?

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming

Home: http://www.jgc.org/