Re: debug information into a file?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: debug information into a file?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:15:40 -0500

%% Torsten Mohr <address@hidden> writes:

  tm> do you think it would be a useful feature to write the debug
  tm> information into a file and have the normal output on stdout?

Yes, that would probably be a useful enhancement.

  tm> Or would it make sense to put normal information to stdout and debug
  tm> information to stderr?

No, I don't like this.

Remember that commands that make invokes also use stdout/stderr, so if
you redirect all stderr to a debug log file (for example) you'll also be
redirecting the stderr of all the compilers, etc. invoked by make to the
log file; that doesn't seem useful.

  tm> This would make it possible to write a detailed report, each time
  tm> "make" is run and when users complain about "strange problems"
  tm> some more information would be there to trace the problems.

Mm.  Well, I don't know if I'd go that far myself, but of course you're
free to put in place whatever procedures you like :-).