Re: Performance with large Makefiles. Preferred patch style?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Performance with large Makefiles. Preferred patch style?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:50:00 -0500

Please either file one patch, OR one bug with the patch as an attached
file for the bug.  You don't need to file both since bugs can have
attachments.

Either one is OK, but honestly, if it's a pure performance improvement
that doesn't impact behavior it's probably safer to file it as a bug
(mark it as enhancement please) since I tend to peruse the open bugs
much more often than the open patches.

Patches (at least the way I look at it) are more for extra capabilities
that people have modified make to do that may or may not ever become
part of the standard version of make.