Re: Help with using make functions

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Help with using make functions
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:51:55 -0500

%% "Adam Klein" <address@hidden> writes:

  ak> I'm trying to use functions like 'patsubst', 'wildcard', 'filter', etc.
  ak> but the make doesn't recognize it.

  ak> For instance, my makefile is:

  ak> rule:
  ak>       @echo $(patsubst %.cpp, %.o, *.cpp)
  ak>       @echo $(patsubst %.cpp, %.o, a.cpp)
  ak>       @echo $(wildcard *.cpp)

  ak> The output of running "make rule" is empty.  It's as if the make
  ak> command doesn't recognize these functions at all...  Can u help
  ak> me?

Almost certainly the version of make you're running is not GNU make, and
so none of the GNU make functions are available to you.

You haven't specified what operating system you're using, etc. so
there's not much else we can tell you.

Run "make --version" and if it doesn't say GNU make, you're using
something else.