Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH now (was Re: Setting PATH from withing make for $(sh

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH now (was Re: Setting PATH from withing make for $(shell) ?)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:53:19 -0400

At 11:45 AM 6/16/2006, Cesar Crusius wrote:
On Friday 16 June 2006 08:38, Cesar Crusius wrote:
> Follow-up question: it works for $PATH now that I let it loose. But it
> doesn't seem to work for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The 'echo' works for one but not
> for the other (the result is that some of the executables fail because they
> can't find the libraries). Is there anything I'm missing?

Follow-up to the follow-up. It seems to work when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is exported.
Not necessary with PATH though.

This is because variables which are inherited from the environment (such as PATH) are automatically re-exported. Variables which were not previously in the environment (typically the case for LD_*) are not and so must be exported explicitly. Either way, if you know you want something exported it doesn't hurt to use the export keyword.

This is all documented in the fine manual, BTW.

-David Boyce