Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH now (was Re: Setting PATH from withing make for $(sh

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH now (was Re: Setting PATH from withing make for $(shell) ?)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:26:02 -0400

%% Cesar Crusius <address@hidden> writes:

  cc> Thanks. I do have the printed copy I bought back in 1996. It is
  cc> not always easy finding what you want in there though. The
  cc> $(shell)/PATH issue is not mentioned, for example. The 'export'
  cc> keyword is only mentioned in connection with sub-makes (at least
  cc> according to the index), and it is not clear that it applies
  cc> everywhere. Maybe I should get a newer hardcopy...

Buying a hardcopy is nice in that it helps fund and support the FSF.

But, online copies are MUCH better for searching for information.  I
recommend you install the Info version of the manual and a good Info
browsing tool.

You don't say which version of the manual you have (I don't know offhand
what version was available in 1996 :-)) but the information you seek is
documented in the "Variables from the Environment" section of the newer
manuals.

The $(shell ...) restriction is not there, because it's a bug and we
don't typically document bugs in the user manual :-).