Re: Rules running again w/o change

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Rules running again w/o change
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:44:36 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  r> I am having a problem with the Makefile. My rules are running
  r> again, even when i havent changed any file. So i run the 'make' in
  r> DEBUG mode and this is what is says:

  r> "Regenerating /net/.../libServiceServer.so because  has changed"

  r> because <blank> has changed. This is hardly helpful. The make
  r> doesnt tell which file has changed. It prints the above message and
  r> starts running the rule again. This rule is especially very time
  r> consuming.

GNU make will never print any message with the word "regenerating" (with
any capitalization) in it, even when debugging is enabled.  I've
searched the entire codebase and that word doesn't appear in any source
file, not even in a comment.

Are you sure you're running GNU make?  How did you enable debugging?

When asking for help (with any software) please ALWAYS provide the basic
information: what version of the software are you using, what host
architecture and operating system are you using, what _exact_ command
line did you type (cut/paste is best), what _exact_ error message did
you get (again, cut/paste is best), and any other details that seem
relevant.