Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Alexey Neyman
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:14:00 +0300

Cristophe,

Thanks for continuing the work that I haven't had the time to finish.
I have a few comments, though:

1. This patch is subject to the same deficiencies as I mentioned at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2006-04/msg00152.html,
but in other way: in that example, when one runs "make -j b a", the
jobs updating "x1" and "x2" are started in parallel. The rule in
makefile, however, requests serialization of "x1" and "x2".

2. The .WAIT semantics you implemented differs from its origins in BSD
make: it waits for *all* dependencies preceding .WAIT, not for the
last one. Note that it is not equivalent to placing .WAIT between
each and every dependency.

3. BSD make associates the .WAIT semantics with a target, not with a
dependency. While being a slight difference, it could be a nuisance
to those with BSD make "background".

In the message mentioned above I described how .WAIT is implemented in
BSD make; that seems to be the "right" approach. However, it is a
large change - that I haven't had the time to implement,
unfortunately.

Regards,
Alexey.

--
Of course, as a loving parent I must push you from the nest.
                        -- Pkunks, SC2