Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:55:28 -0500

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 13:08 +0000, Brendan Heading wrote:

> > Dotting the i's: the problem I was originally trying to solve
> > with .WAIT was concurrent access to an archive file. Thus, I'd be
> > happy to see any of the serialization means: .MUTEX, .WAIT -
> > whatever. I just chose .WAIT because:
>
> IMHO it is still better to make the archive dependent on the object files
> and regenerate it en-masse after all the objects have been built as
> required.

There's one major disadvantage to this model: the .o's can no longer be
considered intermediate files.  That means they cannot be removed after
being added to the archive.

Although disk is a lot cheaper I have had people within the last year or
so reject the "recreate the archive from scratch" method precisely
because they (said they) couldn't afford the hit on disk space.