Re: display the problem of dependency graphically?

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: display the problem of dependency graphically?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:18:08 -0400

Dave Korn wrote:
On 18 July 2007 00:40, Torsten Mohr wrote:

Hi,

i'd like to show the problem of dependency and (re-)making packages (or
files)
based on other packages to some collegues.

I wonder if there is some standardised way to display this in a
graphical way?

The best i could think of is "Activity charts" in UML.

Is there some better way to describe graphically what GNU make does?

  A directed acyclic graph rendered in graphviz sounds like a better fit to me
And some work has been done in this direction. I don't remember the name of the package or where I read about it (here?) but there is a piece of free SW which will read a Makefile and render the DAG using graphviz. I set it up once - it was not a finished product, more of a nice start. You could probably dig it up with the right search terms.

David Boyce