Making multiple action lines from a varaible

From: EXT-Pennington, Dale K
Subject: Making multiple action lines from a varaible
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:29:13 -0500

Folks,

My existing make environment has multiple .mak files for different
chunks of my library in one Scripts directory, and a master build shell
script that looks like :

gmake -f a.mak %1
gmake -f b.mak %1
gmake -f c.mak %1

I would much perfer to have a master make makefile so that, among other
things, when one fails we stop and can fix it before heading to the
others. Now I could obviously do a brute force approach :

all :
        gmake -f a.mak all
        gmake -f b.mak all
        gmake -f c.mak all

clean :
        gmake -f a.mak clean
        gmake -f b.mak clean
        gmake -f c.mak clean

But I would much perfer to not have to do that. So far I have the
following approach

MAKFILES = a.mak b.mak c.mak

all :
        $(foreach make,$(MAKFILES),gmake -f $(make) all;)

clean :
        $(foreach make,$(MAKFILES),gmake -f $(make) clean;)

This generates the desired result, almost. The problem is that since all
the makes are done on 1 line, they are all submitted as one shell
action, and all are attempted before a possible failure return. (I
tested this by deliberately putting a command line option error to make
gmake fail).

So the question is :
Is there a way to use the spare format of the second example to produce
equivalent results of the first example ?

Of course the example above is a bit more trivial than our actual make
environment.

Thanks
Dale Pennington