Make behaviour changes with new kernel?

From: julvr
Subject: Make behaviour changes with new kernel?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to compile a driver for the latest linux kernel, and I ran into a
difference on how the old and new kernels run sub-makefiles, and I'm curious
as to why.  I have a makefile similar to the following:

include submakfile
VAR1 += somevalue

Where, submakefile references VAR1.  When I build with the old kernel, VAR1
in submakefile contains 'somevalue'.  When I build with the new kernel, VAR1
in submakefile does not contain 'somevalue'.  I'm wondering if anyone has
any ideas what might be causing this?  (I'm using gnu make 3.81 in case it
matters)