RE: full VPATH search followed even if prerequisites found in the first

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: full VPATH search followed even if prerequisites found in the first entry
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:13:23 -0800

Here is another example.  I thought that maybe make has some reason to search all those directories, so I concocted this example.  We have 3 subdirectories, foobar , foobar1, foobar2, in foobar and foobar2 only there is a file foo.  The makefile is:

VPATH = foobar foobar1 foobar1 … (foobar1 1000 times) foobar2

foo:

and now if I do

>make foo

(takes 12 seconds and finally says)

make: Nothing to be done for `foobar/foo'.

But there is the second foo:

>del foobar\foo

>make foo

make: Nothing to be done for `foobar2/foo'.

So make went all the way through the list, took 12 seconds for that, found the second foo in the last directory, but discarded it and went with the first one.  Then why did it go to all that trouble???

I am totally stumped.  I cannot tolerate make going through the whole list like that.  It simply takes too long.  Mark