RE: full VPATH search followed even if prerequisites found in the first

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: full VPATH search followed even if prerequisites found in the first entry
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:25:00 -0800

Thank you Philip, I was already going to implement my own directory lookup,
because "VPATH is not working".  I will follow your suggestions.

>Try doing a make with the -d option and pay close attention to the
long list of patterns that make is applying to find the prerequisites
for all the files.  For example, with a trivial Makefile, there are
107 possible prerequisite files for the Makefile itself.  Each of
those must be checked for in each of the VPATH directories.  The list
for other files may be longer or shorter depending on its suffix, but
it has to check for them in suffix order, not VPATH directory order.