Re: make gives exit status of 0 even when compile fails

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make gives exit status of 0 even when compile fails
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:50:53 -0500

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 11:00 +0000, David Aldrich wrote:
> g++ -c -Wall -m64 -march=athlon64 -mtune=athlon64 -D__WXGTK__
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -DWXUSINGDLL
> -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -fpic -O3 CdfDialog.cpp -o
> _gnuRelease/CdfDialog.o
> CdfDialog.cpp:23: error: '#pragma' is not allowed here
> CdfDialog.h:25: error: expected declaration before end of line
> Reaping winning child 0x0b5ed9d0 PID 27900
> Removing child 0x0b5ed9d0 PID 27900 from chain.
>     Successfully remade target file `_gnuRelease/CdfDialog.o'.
>
> I can find no mention of IGNORE in the makefiles. Please can someone
> suggest why make is reporting success and how I can stop it doing so?

Make reports "winning child" which mean that the command make invoked
did not fail (as far as make is concerned).  That means that the
compiler you invoked did not exit with an error code; it exited with a
"0" (success).  I know that GCC _does_ exit with an error code on error,
so that means either you're using a wrapper script or there's something
else going on here.  At any rate, this isn't make misbehaving: it's the
command that make is invoking that's misbehaving.

You can run that command directly at a shell prompt and "echo $?" to see
the exit code.