RE: why isn't command expansion deferred?? (stupid question probably)

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why isn't command expansion deferred?? (stupid question probably)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:04:52 -0800

I see, thank you for explaining!  How does your server know I reply to an
"unrelated thread", when I change the subject line??

The expansion of variables and functions in a recipe is deferred...
until the recipe is invoked.  The entire recipe, including all lines, is
expanded when make decides to run the rule.

To do things like this you need to use shell commands, not make
commands.