does make behave serially when serially invoked

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: does make behave serially when serially invoked
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:27:50 -0800

Hello,  I am trying to collect all matching prerequisites for an implicit rule, by replacing the rule command like this:

OBJECTS = <listed here are thousands of .o file names>

all: $(OBJECTS)

%.o: %.c

                echo $< >> srcs

I do make sure to not call parallel build with –j…  but my machine has several processor cores.  Should this work or not?  I do see dropped prerequisites sometimes.  From my reading of the manual, it seems to imply that without parallel –j option, make behaves “serially” regardless of the number of processors.

Mark