Re: hidden dependencies

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: hidden dependencies
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:49:20 -0500

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Warlich, Christof
<address@hidden> wrote:
> My question: Is there a generic best practice approach to find all existing
> dependencies that are hidden
> by a more or less arbitrary build sequence?

I think you should look at Audited Objects
(http://audited-objects.sourceforge.net/) and in particular at its
dependency generation feature
(http://audited-objects.sourceforge.net/html/man/ao-howto.html#dependency_generation).
This does automatic discovery of all dependency information without
modification of the Makefile. Usage is basically "ao -MD make ...".

Caveats:

- I can't call this a best practice because AO is very new and not
much used yet.
- Given its newness there may be a few rough edges, and the interface
may change a bit though probably not this particular aspect.
- I'm the author, so consider my opinions with that in mind.

David Boyce