Re: hidden dependencies

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: hidden dependencies
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:31:05 -0800

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Warlich, Christof
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm very interested in this subject.  In my project we have generated
>> code for rpc interfaces and corba plus there is perl tool that generates
>> some xml files.
>
> Same with me, lots of generated (include) files, so gcc -MD can't track
> the dependencies until the files are generted.

What I did on a previous project that faced this was create an
order-only dependency from each file that 'could' #include a generated
.h file to that generated file.  That guarantees the files are created
soon enough without requiring that everything be recompiled if a
generated header file is updated.

Philip Guenther