RE: hidden dependencies

From: Warlich, Christof
Subject: RE: hidden dependencies
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:26:02 +0100

> If you are using recursive make then the answer is no it is not possible
> even on "make level"
> google for document "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" your parallel
> builds will randomly fail
> and the risk of failing will increase as you increase number of jobs.
I read this document quite a while ago, so fortunately, this is not an issue.
Instead, I'm _including_ sub-makefiles in a recursive way, so make has
only one common database.

> I'm very interested in this subject.  In my project we have generated
> code for rpc interfaces and corba plus there is perl tool that generates
> some xml files.
Same with me, lots of generated (include) files, so gcc -MD can't track
the dependencies until the files are generted.
Anyhow, it seems very promising to look into Dave's audited objects work.