read a source file with gnu make?

From: patrick
Subject: read a source file with gnu make?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:01:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am begginer with gnu make and I am trying to implement the next:
-I have a source file which contains include directive
-I have a make file with the next content:

file_nam=demo_c0.txt
file_content=$(shell cat ${file_nam})
rez=$(word 1,$(file_content))
f:
        echo $(rez)

When I am executing this nothing is displayed,
 but if I change the content of my demo with something ordinary it works,
 what should I do in this case, is there any solution?