Re: Shell for evaluating .SHELLFLAGS

From: Afif Elghraoui
Subject: Re: Shell for evaluating .SHELLFLAGS
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 12:47:18 -0700

I should clarify something:

On 05/26/2015 12:35 PM, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

On 05/26/2015 10:16 AM, Cook, Malcolm wrote:

This will be a problem when using sqlite3 as your make .SHELL.

Why?  Because the contents of a make recipe is always passed to the
.SHELL as a parameter.  Never on stdin.  But that is what you need.

Why do you need the recipe on stdin?

Because meta-commands (aka dot commands) such as .output are limited
in where they can appear.

Right. That's why I pass in the meta-commands using the init file with
sqlite3's -i flag.

That's not really why I do it. I did it mostly because I need this for every rule and don't want to write it for each of them.

In particular, that are not understood when they appear in the
contents of a multi-line string as the SQL parameter to sqlite3 .

The dot-commands still work for me when I run them through as a command-line parameter, but this case you mention here is still a problem for my method. I don't really need .ONESHELL or multiline commands for these, though. All of my common startup options are set in my init file.

Afif