Re: Silent and verbose make

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Silent and verbose make
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 21:49:26 -0700

Emmanuel Mayssat wrote:
> I am using a wrapper for the make utility.
> By default my wrapper is to run in silent mode (i.e. with -s flag)
> I would like to be able to reverse the silent flag with the same command
> line (more elegant!)
>
> Is there something like
> make -s -v
> that would return make to a verbose mode?

Are you talking about the new default automake mode?

  https://autotools.io/automake/silent.html

> PS: Of course 'make' would work, but I don't want to touch the command
> prefix
> PS: Something like make VAR=value VAR=other_value VAR=final_value which is
> a trick I use all the time. Is there something similar to reverse the
> silent mode?

If it is the new automake silent default then try:

  configure --disable-silent-rules

Or try:

  make V=1

You can set the default make command.  Here are some examples.  Set as
you desire.

  (setq compile-command "make")
  (setq compile-command "make V=0")
  (setq compile-command "make -j4 V=0")

Of course if you are talking about something other than the new silent
automake rules then the above doesn't apply.

Bob