Re: Flag --no-builtin-rules etc. just for this makefile (no flag inherit

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: Flag --no-builtin-rules etc. just for this makefile (no flag inheritance)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 12:04:22 +0200

Hallo Paul:

I have been investigating Kaz Kylheku's suggestion about adding flags to
MAKEFLAGS inside the makefile.

I believe that adding --no-builtin-variables has no effect. It is probably too
late to do that inside the makefile.

That means that option '--no-builtin-rules' does not get automatically enabled
either.

I think that GNU Make's documentation should mention the fact that --no-builtin-variables does not work in this scenario. I would be even better if GNU Make issued a warning when the makefile does that.

Using GNU Make is very time-consuming because it is full of limitations and
quirks. Every little help counts.

Best regards,
  rdiez