Re: Compute dependencies from target name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compute dependencies from target name
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 16:06:37 -0500

>> I'm trying to make a rule along the following lines:
>>     packages/%.tar.gz : $(shell find packages/% -name '*.el' -print |
>> sed 's/\.el/.elc/')
>>      tar -zcf packages/$*.tar.gz packages/$*
> I'd say this is wrongheaded, because you're saying that the materials
> which belong to this package, for the purposes of computing this
> tarball, consist of whatever .el files are scattered in the directory
> tree of that package.

This example was just to explain the kind of situation in which I am.
The details of my situation are a bit different, but yes: I do want to
take "whatever is there" because my makefile is used to maintain/build
arbitrary Emacs Lisp packages from a clone of their Git repository.

In any case, the "second expansion" trick mentioned by Paul (which I had
forgotten) should be good enough for my immediate needs.  BTW, maybe the
section of the manual I quoted should mention this "second expansion".

Thanks,

        Stefan