Re: Compute dependencies from target name

From: Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
Subject: Re: Compute dependencies from target name
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 20:37:26 -0800

On 2020-12-13 13:06, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'm trying to make a rule along the following lines:
    packages/%.tar.gz : $(shell find packages/% -name '*.el' -print |
sed 's/\.el/.elc/')
        tar -zcf packages/$*.tar.gz packages/$*
I'd say this is wrongheaded, because you're saying that the materials
which belong to this package, for the purposes of computing this
tarball, consist of whatever .el files are scattered in the directory
tree of that package.

This example was just to explain the kind of situation in which I am.
The details of my situation are a bit different, but yes: I do want to
take "whatever is there" because my makefile is used to maintain/build
arbitrary Emacs Lisp packages from a clone of their Git repository.

I see. By the way, if it always is a git clone directory, then

   git ls-files '*.el'

can be run in the repo to ferret out the paths of .el files from the
git index.