Archive member dependency

From: Julien LAURENT-VARIN
Subject: Archive member dependency
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:36:52 +0100

Hi all,

I'm working with a big project, and i'm trying to compile it under windows
with WSL and ubuntu distribution ... but I met a problem with
unrecognized library member requirements ... To be more clear, I add a very
little program that reproduces the problem.

So, on the *first *distribution (Linux/Redhat 7), i have :

$ make -v
GNU Make 3.82
Built for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

On the *second *one (WSL/Ubuntu) :

$ make -v
GNU Make 4.3
Built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

On the first one :

$ make -f Makefile all

Generate use_mod.o from use_mod.f90
ifort -c use_mod.f90

Add use_mod.o in libtest.a
ar cr libtest.a use_mod.o

Generate hello_world.o from hello_world.f90
ifort -c hello_world.f90

Add hello_world.o in libtest.a
ar r libtest.a hello_world.o

ranlib libtest.a

ifort libtest.a -o hello_world.exe
rm use_mod.o
$ make -f Makefile all
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

On the second one :

$ make -f Makefile all

Generate use_mod.o from use_mod.f90
ifort -c use_mod.f90

Add use_mod.o in libtest.a
ar cr libtest.a use_mod.o

Generate hello_world.o from hello_world.f90
ifort -c hello_world.f90

Add hello_world.o in libtest.a
ar r libtest.a hello_world.o

ranlib libtest.a

ifort libtest.a -o hello_world.exe
rm use_mod.o
$ make -f Makefile all

Generate use_mod.o from use_mod.f90
ifort -c use_mod.f90

Add use_mod.o in libtest.a
ar r libtest.a use_mod.o

Generate hello_world.o from hello_world.f90
ifort -c hello_world.f90

Add hello_world.o in libtest.a
ar r libtest.a hello_world.o

ranlib libtest.a

ifort libtest.a -o hello_world.exe
rm use_mod.o

As you can see, in the second case, make totally forget that compilation
was already done, especially for the archive member libtest.a(use_mod.o) ...

Have you an explanation for this behavior ?

Thanks

And at this time, I think I can wish you Merry Christmas ...