Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 18:58:39 +0300

> From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
> Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 08:11:53 -0700
> Cc: help-make@gnu.org
>
> https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/create-a-utf8-c-runtime/351432
> has some info from 2020 about utf-8 locale support in recent builds of
> windows.

Yes, I know.  But note a caveat: you need to use the Universal C
Runtime to get that in CRT.  AFAIK, that could mean legal problems,
and in any case it's available only on the latest versions of Windows.
I don't think MinGW supports that, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Also, it
isn't clear which Win32 APIs support that it is not documented, AFAIK.
It is important to know about Win32 APIs because CRT is limited in
what it can do.  And after all that, there are bugs and misfeatures as
documented in that issue and elsewhere on the net.

Even Windows 10 has yet some way to go before ports of Free Software
could use the UTF-8 support built into it.  And that's even before we
consider what can one do if one wants their program to run on versions
of Windows older than the latest and the greatest.