Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?

From: Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
Subject: Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 11:32:08 -0700

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 10:42:21 -0400
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU implementation of make <help-make@gnu.org>

> There is no issue.
> The legal aspects of linking GPL software with MSVCRT.DLL have been
> examined long ago, and the examination concluded that doing so is
> perfectly kosher.

I think you're talking at cross-purposes: you're talking about whether
it's legally safe to link to this library, whereas Kaz is talking about
whether MS makes any promise about the contents of this library
(i.e. whether it's technically safe to link to it).

He was talking about both.

To be clear, other than once alluding to the motivating GPL situation
(the exception for pre-installed system libraries) I had no intent to
be interpreted as talking about anything touching on legal matters.

I've never heard anyone raise a concern that it might be illegal
to link to MSVCRT.DLL at all, or any argumentation that it doesn't
qualify as system library for the purposes of the GPL exception.
Clearly, it does. That aspect of it is not concerning at all.

Cheers ...