Re: Make's assumption that files it does not create do not change

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Make's assumption that files it does not create do not change
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:27:19 -0400

On Tue, 2022-04-12 at 14:58 -0700, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> I also somewhat regret implementing the feature because it is
> unnecessary.
> The feature is built on the the implementation of pattern rules,
> which already supported multiple targets many years before &:.

Just to mention that these options including &: and just using pattern
rules were discussed in the GitHub issue and the followup comments so
these were known to the folks implementing the change.

I don't really agree that using pattern rules is a sufficient
alternative.  Forcing targets to have a common stem is not always
great.  I for one am happy that this feature exists!