RE: C++ Modules

From: Kenton Wilson
Subject: RE: C++ Modules
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:20:51 +0000

>Kaz wrote:
> The fundamental problem is that a module system is supposed to make a tool
> like Make unnecessary!

Kaz, thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts / perspective. I also came
across this paper which I thought I would share:

https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p1689r5.html

Absract

When building C++ source code, build tools need to discover dependencies of
source files based on their contents. This occurs during the build so that file
contents can change without build tools having to reinitialize and so the
dependencies of source file generated during the build are correct. With the
advent of modules in [P1103R3], there are now ordering requirements among
compilation rules. These also need to be discovered during the build. This
paper specifies a format for communicating this information to build tools.

--

Kenton