RE: C++ Modules

From: Kenton Wilson
Subject: RE: C++ Modules
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:23:09 +0000

>Paul wrote:
> I know that CMake is working on enabling some sort of module support, it
> might be interesting to
>take a look at that as well (just to understand the issues they ran into and
>how they decided to manage >them).

Thanks for responding, Paul. I came across this article written by CMake
developers which outlines their approach to solving the problem:

        https://www.kitware.com/import-cmake-c20-modules/

Also, this is a link to a paper (mentioned in the above article), discussing
the compiler / build tool interaction:

        https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p1689r5.html

>Paul wrote:
>All that said I would definitely like to provide great support for C++ modules
>in GNU Make, in
>whatever form that takes.  I just don't have the background, at this time, to
>propose solutions.

Support for c++ modules in ‘make’ would be great, as I don’t really want to
have to use CMake just to get module support. Whatever the solution is, it will
be a welcome addition.

Kenton