help-octave

Re: data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: data cut-and-paste on Octave commandline
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 16:48:28 -0400

On 7/16/19 3:15 PM, Tommy McCann wrote:
I'm not sure what format you are pulling in but if your tabular data can be read as a text file try this.
x = textread('new.txt','%s','delimiter','\t')

My question was in the context of ad-hoc calculations, using data quickly pulled out of other programs running on my desktop---cut from one application, paste into Octave, calculate/plot. I wanted to avoid having to go through other programs like editors and such.

Thanks to Mike for pointing out this Readline functionality that works great in all environments I care about:

Yes, you are looking for the readline option "enable-bracketed-paste".
Add

    set enable-bracketed-paste on

to your ~/.inputrc and it should be taken care of automatically if you
are using any common terminal emulator that supports this feature.