Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problem with unwriteable image

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problem with unwriteable image
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 19:37:18 +0200

> I've noticed that when running the Blox browser if you try to save the
> image to the default root-owned unwriteable location, stuff breaks.

I suspect something related to ObjectMemory events (#aboutToSnapshot,
#returnedFromSnapshot, etc.) but I am not sure.

> If you select the unwriteable file it doesn't tell you that it failed.

This was "a by-design bug" (i.e. it always worked like this -- the
primitive never failed except if the parameter was not a String).
The fix is not easy because it exposes a latent bug in the handling of failed
primitives (it supposed that before failing the primitive did not call back to
Smalltalk, which was true before this change), it will be in 2.1.2 (expect it
in one or
two weeks, it will be ready for Debian packaging).

> As a side note, I also noticed that if you have a gst.im in the
> current directory, gst ignores it in favour of the system default
> location... Is that correct behavior now?

Yes, if you want a local gst.im set SMALLTALK_IMAGE to
its path.