[Help-smalltalk] Problems compiling 2.1.1

From: Jan Hidders
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Problems compiling 2.1.1
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 19:31:38 +0200

Hello All,

I tried to compile version 2.1.1 but couldn't. This was a bit surprising
because 2.1 compiled flawlessly. This is on Suse Linux 7.3 with  gcc version
2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE). I tried adding flags like -ansi but that didn't seem
to matter.

The errors that Make gave started with:

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---

In file included from gstpriv.h:462,
                 from interp.c:36:
input.h:104: parse error before `('
input.h:110: parse error before `('
input.h:115: parse error before `('
input.h:121: parse error before `('
In file included from gstpriv.h:477,
                 from interp.c:36:
sysdep.h:195: parse error before `('
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from ../snprintfv/snprintfv/compat.h:22,
                 from ./printf.in:33,
                 from gstpriv.h:486,
                 from interp.c:36:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:39: parse error before `('
In file included from ../snprintfv/snprintfv/compat.h:27,
                 from ./printf.in:33,
                 from gstpriv.h:486,
                 from interp.c:36:
/usr/include/inttypes.h:296: parse error before `('
/usr/include/inttypes.h:300: parse error before `('
In file included from gstpriv.h:486,
                 from interp.c:36:
./printf.in:390: parse error before `('
./printf.in:421: parse error before `('

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---

If I look in input.h then the differences between the old and the new at the
places where the errors appeared are like the following:

old input.h:

> /* Emits a warning, with the current file and line in front of it, on
>   the standard error descriptor. */
> extern void _gst_warningf (const char *str,
>                           ...) FN_PRINTF(1);

new input.h:

> /* Emits a warning, with the current file and line in front of it, on
>    the standard error descriptor. */
> extern void _gst_warningf (const char *str,
>                           ...) ATTRIBUTE_PRINTF_1;

So does anybody know what is going wrong here?

And while I have your attention let me also ask some small questions:

* Is the page at http://www.smalltalk.org/versions/GNUSmalltalk.html really
the official GNU smalltalk site? I thought that was
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html .

* And how come that the links to "Stable" and "Alpha" on the two pages seem to
lead to two different directories? It is correct that there is no alpha
version at the moment?

* Is it correct that version 2.0.3 is the latest stable release as is
mentioned on the first page?

* Why is there not a sourceforge project? Wouldn't that make bug-reporting a
bit more stream-lined?

Ok. I'll stop now. :-) Well, just one more. Is there somewhere an easy
introduction to using the BLOX paradigm (as opposed to MVC) or can this only
done by looking around in the implementation of the browser?

Ok. Now I will really stop, but not before I have said thanks to the people
who have helped creating a really free implementation of my favourite
programming language. Thanks. :-)

Kind regards,

-- Jan hidders