Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU smalltalk - Garbage collection

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU smalltalk - Garbage collection
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:02:13 +0200

> Number of references to eden space = 48,943
> Number of references to surv space 0 = 2
> Number of references to surv space 1 = 2
> Number of references to tenq space   = 2
> Total references to new space (eden, surv's, tenq) = 48,949
> Number of references to other spaces(old+fixed) = 29,827,066 <--
>
> The num references to old+fixed are really large compared to new space.
> Considering that most objects are used up fast ie die young in smalltalk,
> should'nt the new space be getting the most references? Is there something I'm
> missing?

Not necessarily.  The test you're running does SmallInteger stuff which does not
result in any reference to any space except for methods (which lie into old
space).

Also, contexts (and hence the stack, nothing less!) get their own pool and are
moved to survivor space only if they survive a GC: you are probably considering
them as part of oldspace, but their arena is more of a separate eden.  You can
get
the allocated addresses from the chunks array in libgst/interp.c, IIRC.

Finally, the tenuring queue is actually only a data structure that is only used
at GC time.  You can safely drop it.

> I get similar results on the other programs. Also, I was wondering if there
> were any real benchmarking programs available for GST. The ones I'm using now
> don't run long enough to capture true cache behavior.

What about generating the manual (see docs/Makefile.am and examples/Publish.st)?