[Help-smalltalk] [poll] regex literals

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] [poll] regex literals
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:58:40 +0100

I'm thinking of adding regex literals to GNU Smalltalk. The only syntax I found that would work is ##/regex/. /regex/ wouldn't work for the old syntax, because the lexer has no way to understand that the / in this example

    a: b
        /regex/ printNl

starts a regex and is not a division operator. It would work in the new syntax (after one of [ ( { ^ . keyword: identifier binary-message, and maybe a few more I forgot, / would start a regex, otherwise it would be a division operator), but I don't like to add a feature that cannot be ported to other Smalltalks.

What do you think? Right now I'm more for "no" or "not yet", but I'm open to discussion.