[Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] make TwistedPools the default pool search

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] make TwistedPools the default pool search order
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:45:02 -0700

Issue status update for http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/206 Post a follow up: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/comments/add/206

Project:      GNU Smalltalk
Version:      <none>
Component:    STInST
Category:     feature requests

1) Yes, in your specific example; however, elimination is not done as
pools are encountered, because we prefer left-to-right.  For example,
in the hierarchy:

'B C' will sort to 'B A C X', whereas 'B C A' will sort to 'B C A X'.

2) It would be searching some pools too early.  I wanted to allow
importing of namespaces in other hierarchies, while not thereby forcing
the early search of namespaces already imported by virtue of containing
the importing class.

Arguments can be made to reduce or increase the elimination of shared
pools.  Both are discussed in the "Combination details" section, the
specific option you mention being the subject of the second and third
paragraphs.