Re: [Help-smalltalk] Which parser to use to parse the gnu-smalltalk code

From: Holger Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Which parser to use to parse the gnu-smalltalk code
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:03:04 +0200

Hi,

> Can anyone point to me some resources about how to parse/traverse the
> gnu-smalltalk code? There are many Parsers in the STInST package.

I assume you mean programatically? The Parser package of STInST is
the way to go. And the content in packages/sttools has an example on how
to use it.

> I see two syntax forms in the the source directory. Code in the kernel/ can
> be used in gst, but some in tests/, like Compiler.st, have parsing errors.
> What's going wrong here? Shouldn't gst support both syntax?

There is the standard “fileout” syntax of Smalltalk and the new GST
format to make it more pleasant to edit with standard unix tools. What
parse error do you get?

There is a known issue in STInST that it fails to parse compile time
constants ##(2/3) (which will be evaluated at compile time).

holger