help-tar

tar messages displayed after archiving is completed

From: Радослав Ненчовски
Subject: tar messages displayed after archiving is completed
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 22:04:40 +0300

Hi. Earlier today I used the command "tar -czf home-renpy_symlinks-only.tar.gz ~/.renpy" to archive the symlinks only - without the content they're leading to. But instead of displaying something like "operation completed", tar displayed something close to this message: "removing the / from members" which made me think the operation has failed. Only hours later I discovered the archive was actually created. So, isn't there a way to make tar display something more understandable when the archive creation was completed? I suppose I could add -v for "verbose" but I doubt that this would change the displayed message.