help-tar

Re: tar messages displayed after archiving is completed

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: tar messages displayed after archiving is completed
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 09:26:52 +0200

> But instead of displaying
> something like "operation completed", tar displayed something close to
> operation has failed.

Not everything a program (any program, not only tar) displays on the
standard error means an error.  If tar fails to perform the requested
operation, it clearly indicates the fact in its last message, which will
be in such case:

  tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

The message you are referring to and the ways to avoid it are discussed
in detail in the Tar Manual, section 6.10.2, "Absolute File Names".
It is available online at:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/absolute.html

Regards,
Sergey