Re: formatting Heimdal and KerberosIV documents

From: Rich Morin
Subject: Re: formatting Heimdal and KerberosIV documents
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:13:38 -0800

At 11:01 AM +0200 1/31/02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
  - the GNU Texinfo package (that's where texi2dvi comes from, and
    that's where you get the TeX macros necessary to produce printed
    copy of these docs);

  - TeX and related programs, including basic fonts;

  - the dvips program.

Well, I installed the texinfo package from the FreeBSD Ports Collection
and it brought in a copy of TeX, including dvips.  It does not seem to
have brought in texi2dvi, however.

Hmmm;  I do see a couple of copies of a texi2dvi script in some bash
distributions.  Let's try using that:

  % texi2dvi heimdal.texi
  This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.2)
  (heimdal.texi
  ! I can't find file `texinfo'.
  l.1 \input texinfo
                     @c -*- texinfo -*-
  Please type another input file name: ^D
  ! Emergency stop.
  l.1 \input texinfo
                     @c -*- texinfo -*-
  No pages of output.
  Transcript written on heimdal.log.

Well; THAT didn't work.  FWIW, the Makefile contains some tantalizing
lines such as:

  info_TEXINFOS = heimdal.texi
  heimdal_TEXINFOS = intro.texi install.texi setup.texi kerberos4.texi
  heimdal.dvi: heimdal.texi $(heimdal_TEXINFOS)

Once you have all these, the rest is easy:

  $ texi2dvi heimdal.texi
  $ dvips -o heimdal.ps heimdal.dvi

Yep; it looks easy.  Let me know if you have any other clues to offer.

-r
--
email: address@hidden; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.