Re: formatting Heimdal and KerberosIV documents

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: formatting Heimdal and KerberosIV documents
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:08:44 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Rich Morin wrote:

> Well, I installed the texinfo package from the FreeBSD Ports Collection
> and it brought in a copy of TeX, including dvips.  It does not seem to
> have brought in texi2dvi, however.

That seems strange: texi2dvi is part of Texinfo.  But it sounds like
you've found texi2dvi anyway.

>    % texi2dvi heimdal.texi
>    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.2)
>    (heimdal.texi
>    ! I can't find file `texinfo'.
>    l.1 \input texinfo

This means that TeX is installed incorrectly: it should be able to find
a file texinfo.tex in its installation tree (normally, under
/usr/local/share/texmf).

You could try to overcome that by looking for texinfo.tex somewhere on
your system.  Normally, every Texinfo manual should come with its own
copy (to avoid problems with incompatible versions), but evidently
heimdal.texi didn't.  Try looking elsewhere on your system.  If you find
one, copy it to the same directory where you have heimdal.texi, and then
try running texi2dvi again.