Re: exdent

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: exdent
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:02:57 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >     * makeinfo/insertion.c (begin_insertion) <example>: Insert spaces
> >     after <pre> to produce indentation of the first line in HTML mode.
>
> Please, don't indent inside <pre> -- it's up to the browser to DTRT

??? Doesn't <pre> mean the browser should leave all whitespace alone, and
also retain line breaks and other formatting details?

> (they all behave diffently).

What different behavior do you see, and with which browsers?

I tried Internet Explorer and Netscape, and they both do the same:
preserve the exact indentation of the text in the HTML document.  That
means with the previous code you didn't see any indentation whatsoever
inside @example.

> If you want to give indentation hints use a stylesheet mechanism.

I don't want to give a hint, I want to specify the precise indentation.
I thought that was what <pre> was all about.