Re: exdent

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: exdent
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:43:25 +0300

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 16:41:25 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ??? Doesn't <pre> mean the browser should leave all whitespace alone, and
> > also retain line breaks and other formatting details?
>
> Sure, but it depends on the context:

> <pre>
> line
> line
> line
> </pre>

Thanks for the examples, but I don't see how they are relevant to
the case in point.  The change I sent only modifies the output
produced by makeinfo for directives that are expected to enclose
preformatted text, text that should look in the output exactly as
written in the Texinfo source, and it should also be indented.  That
is what we get in Info and in the printed manual.

Specifically, the affected directives are:

  @display
  @example
  @lisp

and their @small-* varieties; makeinfo includes the text surrounded by
these in <pre>...</pre>.  Can you think of or show examples where
indenting the text produced by these directives will do any harm?

> and a CSS stylesheet like this:
>
> pre.example {
>         white-space: pre;
>         margin-left: 4em;
> }

makeinfo never used stylesheets until now; I'm not sure we should
start doing that for this purpose.

Also, how would you go about producing the effect of @exdent in the
middle of @example (the original problem which started this thread)
using stylesheets?