Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
Subject: Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 07:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since you mention Cygwin, I presume you mean Microsoft Windows, not X
> Windows?  Am I right?  (In my personal experience, the term `Windows'
> is highly confusing, since it refers to several different windowing
> systems.)

Yes, you're right. Cygwin does have an X-Windows component, but it is
all under Microsoft Windows 95/NT4/98/2000/ME/XP. Or WINE, I suppose.
Just a short explanation, since a lot of people are unfamiliar with Cygwin--
there is a DLL that acts as a "UNIX kernel", translating UNIX system calls
into their MS-Windows equivalents. This makes it possible to run a Free
software environment (bash, gcc, etc.) even if you're required to use
MS-Windows at work/school/etc. See cygwin.com for more information.

>    .... I thought that simply compressing the files would work.
>
> Yes, it should.  I just ran GNU Emacs 21.3.50.144 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> X toolkit) Info on a compressed file and it worked fine.
>
> Sounds like a bug in the Cygwin/Microsoft port of GNU Emacs.

It does sound like a bug in something. However, I'm not invoking from
within GNU Emacs, just the standalone 'info' program from within bash.
I'm going to look into the filesys_read_compressed (pathname, filesize, finfo)
function in the texinfo source today and see if I can figure out where it's
going wrong.