Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:13:32 +0000 (UTC)

   Unfortunately, the GNU Emacs port for Cygwin is still alpha-quality,
   see this thread:

Hmmm.... the last time I ran a Microsoft operating system was in 1987
and I ran Emacs -- it worked fine.  Oh well.  On second thoughts,
perhaps I was running one of the Emacs clones -- those without the
virtual Lisp machine.  (Nowadays, I run the CVS version of GNU Emacs
under GDB -- and sometimes find bugs... )

   Don't tell anyone, but a lot of time I end up looking at the
   /usr/info/* files with 'grep' and 'less'. :)

I don't blame you.  As I said, no one I know likes the standalone info
reader.  But this inadequacy should give you a reason to run the
Cygwin Emacs port under some debugger, either using the traditional
Emacs keybindings or one of the VI keybindings (such as viper).  Doing
the latter would test different keybinding code than usual.  Or even
better, you could run wordstar-mode....  :-)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com