Re: [help-texinfo] Trouble compiling on Mac OS X (10.3.1)

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Trouble compiling on Mac OS X (10.3.1)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:25:18 -0500

    texinfo-4.6.1

I have never made a release numbered "4.6.1".  I wonder who did.  You
can get the original 4.6 distribution from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo.

    dcigettext.c:242: header file 'search.h' not found

Well, this is the standard gettext code, not specific to Texinfo.  But
it seems that <search.h> is being included if HAVE_TSEARCH (or _LIBC) is
defined.  On GNU/Linux systems, there is a /usr/include/search.h which
has a declaration for the tsearch function (among other things).

So:
1) does MacOSX have a search.h file?  Try searching your system for a
   file by that name.  If you find it, then make
   CFLAGS=-I/whatever/directory might suffice.

2) another approach: look at the config.h file (in the texinfo source
   directory), created by configure.  See if HAVE_TSEARCH is #define's.
   If so, change the #define to #undef and try make again.

3) another approach: get a clean distribution, and run configure
   --with-included-gettext=no.  That way, it should not try to compile
   the gettext support included with the texinfo distribution at all.

HTH,