[help-texinfo] Cygwin problems

From: Tarpley Kristin
Subject: [help-texinfo] Cygwin problems
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:04:17 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I loaded Cygwin from a CD my teacher at school burned.  He printed out a copy of the setup instructions so that I knew which files to load.  On the bottom of the printout, he included some instructions that have messed up my program.  I was hoping you could help me troubleshoot them, as my teacher has no idea what is wrong.  Here is a copy of the instructions:

After installation is complete:
--Open Cygwin; at the prompt ($) type in the following:
$cd (press enter)
$cat <<EOF>.vimrc (press enter)
> set nocompatible (press enter)
> source \$VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim (press enter)
> EOF (press enter)
$ vim .vimrc (press enter)
(press enter) (shift :) to take you to command mode.  The cursor moves to the bottom of the page.  At the prompt (:), type
: set ff=unix (press enter) (shift :) at the prompt (:) type
: wq (press enter)
--------ALL DONE--------

When I enter vim .vimrc, this is the message I get:

Error detected while processing /home/Kristin/.vimrc:
line 1:
E488 Trailing characters: nocompatible^M
line 2:
E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/vim62/vimrc_example.vim^M

I have checked this folder, and vimrc_example.vim has the same pathname as shown above.  I erased and reloaded the whole program in case I made a mistake the first time, but it did not fix the problem.  Please let me know if you can help or if you need any more information.

Thank you!!

Kristin Tarpley

Do you Yahoo!?